Flying with children
Onboard with kids, car seats & strollers, kids meals and more
Infants and Children
Infant: any accompanied child under 2 years old.
children: any accompanied children aged 2 -11years old.
The amount of baggage you can check-in is printed on your ticket. You can verify online at Manage My Booking. Baggage allowances for infants may vary depending on your destination but include an additional collapsible stroller or push-chair or car seat capsule which is free of charge. Please contact the airport check-in staff to verify and apply the waiver. The number of strollers allowed onboard depends on the number of infants or children travelling.
Children are permitted the same amount of baggage as adults, infants receive 10kgs.
Info on baggage allowance here.
USE OF STROLLERS
Staff will be on hand at the boarding gate ready to collect the stroller and place it on a separate compartment in the aircraft. Item shall be returned during the disembarking process.
All infants booked online are booked without a seat and must travel on the lap of the adult travelling with them.
Air Vanuatu International operates a Boeing 737-800 aircraft to/from Australia, New Zealand and Vanuatu, which does not have bassinets onboard. We do make every effort to provide a spare seat providing additional room, however this is subject to availability and is at the discretion of the Air Vanuatu duty representative.
- Infants pay 10% of the adult applicable fare and do not receive a seat.
- Each infant under 2 years of age must be escorted by a separate adult.
- For safety reasons only an adult can hold or nurse an infant onboard our flights.
- Children's booster seats can not be used onboard our aircraft.
- Infants must hold a passport for travel.
Kids Meals are available on our International flights from: Australia, New Zealand, and Fiji to / from Vanuatu. Make your request at the time of booking your flight or contact Air Vanuatu. The meals are designed for children aged between 2-10 years.
Infant meals are available onboard our International flights, please make your request at the time of booking.
Air Vanuatu is able to provide assistance for children aged 5 to 11 travelling as an unaccompanied minor on an Air Vanuatu service. Unaccompanied minors can not be booked on-line and bookings must be made through an Air Vanuatu Sales Office or your Travel Agent.
- In order to offer the best possible care for your child, we will need for you to provide information including: contact details of guardians at both ends of the journey. Your Air Vanuatu Sales Consultant or Travel Agent will provide you with relevant forms that you will need to complete.
- You are required to fully complete an Air Vanuatu Unaccompanied Minor form and present at the airport check-in.
- Your child will be escorted by either Air Vanuatu staff or our appointed ground handler through security, passport control and on to the aircraft, where they will be monitored by our cabin crew through to their destination.
- On arrival your child will be escorted from the aircraft, through the arrival formalities and handed to the person you have nominated on your form.
- When a child is travelling with his/her parent on the same flight but on a different class of service the child will be considered as an unaccompanied minor.
CHILDREN TRAVELLING WITH A DIFFERENT SURNAME
- Customs and Immigration recommended that passengers travelling with a child under 18 years of age who has a different surname, carry a consent letter that is signed by both parents, as well as a copy of the child's birth certificate, to prove that the child has the permission of the absent lawful parent(s) or guardian.
AT THE AIRPORT AND BOARDING
- We suggest families allow plenty of time to get to the airport and for passenger processing i.e. check-in, security, Customs / Immigration.
Air Vanuatu International check-in counters open 3 hours prior to the published departure time, New Zealand is 3 hours. International flights close strictly 60 minutes prior to departure. Domestic opens 2 hours prior and closes 45minutes before departure.
- Families with young children will be invited to board first to allow plenty of time to make their way to the aircraft and get settled onboard.
IN-FLIGHT ENTERTAINMENT FOR CHILDREN
We encourage you to bring tablets or appropriate small toys to entertain your children. We do not currently have in seat screens nor provide movies or cartoons or any video entertainment onboard our flights. The use of electronic items is restricted during take off and landing.