Travelling with Children
- Air Vanuatu International operates a Boeing 737-800 aircraft to/from Australia, New Zealand and Vanuatu, which does not have bassinets onboard. We do make every effort to provide a spare seat providing additional room, however this is subject to availability and is at the discretion of the Air Vanuatu duty representative.
- Infants pay 10% of the adult applicable fare and do not receive a seat.
- Each infant under 2 years of age must be escorted by a separate adult.
- For safety reasons only an adult can hold or nurse an infant onboard our flights.
- Children's booster seats can not be used onboard our aircraft.
- Infants must hold a passport for travel.
Strollers & Prams
- Generally small compact strollers can be taken to the departure gate (after clearing airport security) it will be taken and placed in the aircarft hold, then presented on arrival. As there are many types of strollers, not all comply, a decision will be made at check-in by the Air Vanuatu representative.
- Larger prams must be checked in at the check-in counter.
Kids Meals are available on our International flights from: Australia, New Zealand, and Fiji to / from Vanuatu. Make your request at the time of booking your flight or contact Air Vanuatu. The meals are designed for children aged between 2-10 years.
Infant meals are available onboard our International flights, please make your request at the time of booking.
Please refer to the Department of Transport website for Liquids Gels and Aerosols requirements and exemptions CLICK HERE
- In order to offer the best possible care for your child, we will need for you to provide information including: contact details of guardians at both ends of the journey. Your Air Vanuatu Sales Consultant or Travel Agent will provide you with relevant forms that you will need to complete.
- You are required to fully complete an Air Vanuatu Unaccompanied Minor form and present at the airport check-in.
- Your child will be escorted by either Air Vanuatu staff or our appointed ground handler through security, passport control and on to the aircraft, where they will be monitored by our cabin crew through to their destination.
- On arrival your child will be escorted from the aircraft, through the arrival formalities and handed to the person you have nominated on your form.
- When a child is travelling with his/her parent on the same flight but on a different class of service the child will be considered as an unaccompanied minor.
Children Travelling with a different surname
- Customs and Immigration recommended that passengers travelling with a child under 18 years of age who has a different surname, carry a consent letter that is signed by both parents, as well as a copy of the child's birth certificate, to prove that the child has the permission of the absent lawful parent(s) or guardian.
- Children are permitted the same amount of luggage as adults, infants receive 10kgs.
Air Vanuatu luggage allowance.
At the Airport & Boarding
- We suggest families allow plenty of time to get to the airport and for passenger processing i.e. check-in, security, Customs / Immigration.
Air Vanuatu International check-in counters open 2 1/2 hours prior to the published departure time, New Zealand is 3 hours. International flights close strictly 60 minutes prior to departure.
Domestic opens 90 minutes prior and closes 20minutes before departure.
- Families with young children will be invited to board first to allow plenty of time to make their way to the aircraft and get settled onboard.
- Our International flights have a flying time of 2-4 hours, we offer AV1 entertainment onboard our flights to/from Australia and New Zealand. You can bring your own electronic entertainment device due to the limited selection we have on offer. Please remember that the use of electronic devices must not be operated in preparation for landing and take off.
Please contact your nearest Air Vanuatu office for more information on Travelling with Children.